The circular economy is a systemic approach to economic development designed to benefit businesses, society, and the environment. It takes a holistic approach that considers the entire lifecycle of a product, from creation to disposal, keeping products and materials in use, and regenerating natural systems that benefit both people and the planet. In the real estate sector, circular economy principles can be applied to building design, construction, and operations to reduce waste, decrease energy consumption, and promote sustainability.
Pinchin’s Commitment to Circular Economy
At Pinchin, we understand the immense value of the circular economy. We are actively working to embed circular economy principles into the very fabric of our operations. Our initiatives include:
- Sustainable Supply Chains and Procurement: We are revising our procurement policies to prioritize goods that are recycled, recyclable, or made from renewable resources. We aim to work with suppliers and partners who share our commitment to sustainability. This includes examining all stages of our supply chain for opportunities to reduce environmental impacts.
- Alternative Material Exploration: While our initial transition to bioplastics faced challenges with durability, we remain committed to finding sustainable alternatives for our materials. We are continually researching and testing other eco-friendly materials that can meet our rigorous standards for safety and performance.
- Waste Audits: We conduct quarterly waste audits to identify areas of improvement and track our progress in reducing waste. Our multiple recycling streams for various materials contribute to the goal of keeping products and materials in use.
- Membership with the Electronic Recycling Association (ERA): We have partnered with the ERA to refurbish unwanted electronics and donate them to various charities across the country, extending the life and utility of products.
Further, as part of our commitment, we are planning to engage more in circular economy initiatives in the coming year. As we progress on this journey, we aim to lead by example, demonstrating that sustainable practices can coexist with successful business operations.
Our Services: Your tailored path to sustainability
Our commitment to sustainability extends beyond our own operations and directly impacts the services we offer our clients. We offer sustainability consulting services aimed to guide clients on their sustainability journey, helping them advance along the path of Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) goals, and towards principles of circular economy. Our services include:
- Waste Audit: We work with clients to conduct comprehensive waste audits that serve as the foundation for sustainable practices. Identifying current waste generation levels and understanding disposal methods allows us to pinpoint areas that need improvement. We develop a Waste Reduction Work Plan (WRWP) tailored specifically to the client’s facility.
- Waste Reduction: We delve deeper into your waste stream to help you better understand them. We identify opportunities for waste reduction and help implement strategies that align with the principles of circular economy. Our goal is to transform waste management practices to promote resource conservation, leading to a more sustainable operational model.
- Sustainable Building Design: we offer consulting services that focus on sustainable building design. This includes incorporating energy-efficient systems, integrating water conservation strategies, and embedding waste reduction strategies right from the design phase. By doing so, we aim to guide the development of buildings that are not only environmentally friendly but also cost-effective and efficient over their lifespan.
- Circular Economy: Launching circular economy projects requires a skilled and specialized team. We aid in developing customized ESG strategies for your organization to achieve net-zero and circularity objectives. A crucial part of this process is value chain mapping, a diagnostic exercise to understand your company’s current value chain. This practice provides insight into your greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, especially Scope 3 emissions, and helps us identify key challenges, opportunities, and strategic intervention points for a circular solution.
Pinchin’s Building Performance and Sustainability Team understands the pressures associated with targeting ESG, sustainability, emission reduction goals, as well as establishing sustainable and environmental practices. Our team of consultants have experience supporting all aspects of sustainability from establishing goals to energy audits and certification consulting.
For more information of our Building Performance and Sustainability services, please find our factsheet below: